Game Design Portfolio
Hi! I’m Jonathan, a current Game Design and Project Management student at Uppsala University in Sweden.
- The Bazaar
Remote work on streamer and esports team owner Andrey "Reynad" Yanyuk's strategy/card game "The Bazaar". You build your strategy throughout each game which makes every game a new experience. While a competitive game, The Bazaar aims to reach a broad audience with simple, yet deep design.
Genre: Strategy/Card Game, Deck-builder
Team Size: Small
Duration: 9 months (ongoing project)
Platform: PC & Mobile
Joining the small development team, my role was to help with all aspects of design. I mostly worked on what I and the other developers felt would contribute most to the project at the time. Partly due to time zones, I worked individually and brought materials to meetings for discussion.
- Overall had my hands on everything design and some UX/UI
- Figuring out design guidelines and goals (target audience, complexity, amount of player interaction, etc.)
- Balancing design space and simplistic design
- Figuring out possible card mechanics within current systems
- Class archetypes and their card types/synergies
- The high importance of being concise and clear when suggesting changes/mechanics, or pointing out flaws in the design.
- Importance of having a common project vision and goals when making design decisions.
- The value of studying other games, especially within the same genre or type.
- The Stump
The Stump is an arcade game with three unique competitive mini-games played with up to 4 players. This student project was made during my first year at university during an arcade course. Play as woodpeckers catching insects, racing/eating larvae, or forest mice storing food.
Genre: Arcade, Party Games
Team Size: 6
Duration: 10 weeks
Platform: PC (designed for arcade)
I pitched this project to my previous group after bouncing ideas with some friends and family. As the "producer", I mostly worked with what I felt necessary, or interesting at the time.
- Thematic and gameplay concept
- Project management
- Environment art (took and edited photos)
- Unity scene management & art implementation
- C# scripting for minor systems and details
- Quality assurance
- Sound design
- Personal Project
My first digital solo project was made during the summer break after my first year at University. It's a simplistic puzzle game where you merge water droplets onto a specific spot in x amount of moves. Merging droplets change their size which affects their movement patterns. The project was mainly to practice my Unity development, and design skills.
Team Size: 1
Duration: ~8 weeks (unfinished)
As it was solo developed, I